Top 5 dog training tips
Having a dog in your life should provide you with great joy and companionship - not extra burden or an endless source of frustration, as is so often the case.
These are some general tips to keep in mind that hold true in any dog training for obedience situation.
- Praise and reward your dog when he does what you ask of him, give an appropriate correction when he doesn't do what he has been taught. The key is to find the right balance for your dog.
- Don't expect your dog to just know this stuff straight away. Repetition of the command and the action is crucial. Believe in what you are doing and stick to it.
- Always be consistent (this includes everybody who lives with your dog), make it easy for your dog. Give him a simple decision to make and make it clear to him which choice is acceptable and which choice is unacceptable - provide instant feedback.
- Never correct or punish your dog for not doing something he has not been properly taught to do - be realistic and fair.
- Make your training sessions short, sharp and fun - for you and your dog.